A beginner’s guide to online roulette
Even if you’ve never played roulette before, you’ll pick up the basics quickly. Although the variations and bets can get complicated, beginners can start playing for real money almost immediately. With so many casinos offering roulette online, it’s well-worth learning how to play.
Demystifying the online roulette wheel
New players need not be intimidated by the roulette wheel. Depending on which variation you play (French, American or European), the wheel consists of 36 -37 numbers. Each number has either a red or black background, and there may be one or two green slots with a zero (0) or double (00). You may also notice that the numbers are not listed consecutively.
Once you’ve placed your bets the wheel starts to spin, while the ball is launched in the opposite direction. Depending on where the ball lands and what bet you’ve placed, you’ll either win or lose.
Understanding the roulette board
The numbers that appear on the roulette wheel are replicated on the roulette board. To place a bet you simply drop your chips on the number you think the ball will land on. Or, you could place your chips in such a way to cover more than one number. You can bet on up to six number this way, which is also referred to as an ‘inside bet’. The term ‘inside bet’ refers to a betting on specific numbers and these bets generally have higher paying odds.
You could also make an ‘outside bet’ which means you bet on one of the following outcomes:
- Red/Black: This refers only to the colour of the number the ball lands on.
- High/Low: Here you bet on whether the ball will land on one of the first 18 or last 18 numbers.
- Odd/Even: You bet on whether the ball will land on an odd or even number.
Whether you play roulette online or at a live casino, the board remains the same. But the payouts will vary from casino to casino. Take some time to familiarise yourself with the different payouts before you play for money.
A roulette strategy for beginners
There really is no way to predict where that little white ball will land. But a strategy can help you save your bankroll so you can play for longer. Some tips that beginners can use when playing online roulette are:
- Start with outside bets: These are the bets that don’t involve any numbers. Try betting on odd/even, high/low or red/black until you feel more confident.
- Know the different variations: The American version has two green slots (zero and double zero) which affect the house edge. Where possible, you should try to play European or French roulette instead.
- Keep track of the numbers: Get into the habit of noting which numbers come up frequently. This will give you the confidence to move from making outside bets to placing an inside bet.
Online roulette is a fast-paced, exciting game that’s enjoyed by many players around the world. Now that you know how to play the game, don’t be shy to try out your skills.